Thursday, July 30, 2009

THE Mighty Boosh

Existential poem 'Pies' by the Cap'n of cool- Howard C. Moon with his muse Vince Noir @ The Roxy 7/28/09

Amanda and I started our day @ 3 pm by hitting the Roxy to get our armbands for our free Mighty Boosh tix courtesy of MySpace. The hitch is you gotta have Mighty Boosh in your top friends and prove it. There was some stress as my iphone moved like molasses. Like clockwork, we set off for Amoeba where they were appearing for a Q&A and swag signing. My friend Shannon did a smash up job introducing them. Witty banter ensued as a monkey bear egged them on. I learned that everyone on the show are either family or friends. I was hipped to Sweet Pete, an early project of theirs which is equally as charming. I bought all 3 seasons of Mighty Boosh on DVD and I am now marveling @ the butchery of the episodes by Adult Swim. During the signing, Noel Fielding (Vince Noir and 1000 other characters) took my hand in both of his as all of the funny things I wanted to tell him turned into a stunned silence. I gave Julian Barrett (Howard C. Moon and another 1000 characters) Sam McPheeters zine 'Clog' and told him it was some funny stories my husband wrote that I thought he would enjoy. He seemed genuinely delighted. I asked Rich Fulcher (the sole American that plays quite a few roles) if he had ever been told that he resembles Har Mar Superstar. He said quizzically that he had. Note Michael Fielding(Naboo) has a mustache. People heckled and razzed him about it all night.
Next to me in line is the winner of Amoeba's costume contest, I give you Rudy Van Disarzio and his lovely assistant Ol Gregg.

Here's another Ol Gregg taking a pic of the Moon and the guy looking at me is Sam from Freaks and Geeks (John Francis Daily). I didn't know til later and he musta thought I was trying to photograph him. Smile, fool.
Scene cut and we are @ the Roxy, the line stretches around two city blocks, past the Whisky. This is like the US Mighty Boosh victory lap tour. They let wrist banders in first and we meet some other girls by the stage. All 5 of us start coordinating a crimping dance troupe which we plan to do during the show. Little do we know, once the show would begin, we would be so enthralled the routine would be forgotten.
Neil Fielding as Vince Noir-
Julian Barrett as Howard C. Moon-
Rich Fulcher as Bob Fossil-
Dave Brown as Bollo the ape-
Before the show they had a video montage of great moments from the show and between each costume change, they had new clips of the Moon.
Look at deer Noel doing the mating song of the elk.
Ol Gregg is singing his sea shanty of love-
People lost their minds trying to catch the handmade posters. This one says Fruit Boots and has a picture of legs w/ bananas for feet. I wanted it so bad I could taste the bananas. It coulda been that I was on my 6th day of fasting.
Is this the Hitcher or Albino Wizard?
This is Dave Brown who plays Bollo the ape (and others) and helps Julian write the show's tunes. All of the musicianship was great. Everyone played and played well. He also compiled their book.
Enter Rich Fulcher as Eleanor the predator-
Attack of the killer Nanas-
Noel's nightie kept flying up in our faces. My word, I do say.
That was literally one of the best shows I've ever seen. Oddly, I ran into Har Mar Superstar later that night as he was heading backstage and he told me that he goes way back with Rich Fulcher. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I may never know. We met 'Mike the Bike' after the show. He says he plays piano in front of the Bank of America everyday. He was cool and reminded me of Donny the hobo in Crack Fox episode.