Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Amoxicillin fashionista

Sam and I have been ill for like a week, as have most of our friends. My students were generous with the Yuletide germs as well. So rather than run around before Xmas like a blitzing pathogen, I've decided to stay home mostly and write endless streams of Xmas cards. I got inspired by a 12 year old fashion blogger named Tavi G (no relation,cuz I would be T Tavi) who is adorable and has fun in the snow of NY and raps about Comme des Garcons and other fashion houses. She is precocious and who doesn't remember being that age- all dressed up, nowhere pressing to go, entertaining oneself with recording devices. In my case, it was a tape deck. If only I had kept all of the non-sequitur "interviews" I did with my friends and myself as other characters. Surely they'd be good for a laugh, since 12 year olds have kooky senses of humor in their juvenile grown-up way. In her case, she uses the internet blogdom that transmits to the globe. She has been hailed as a fashion "it" girl and demurely she has resisted the attention. I can only imagine how weird it is to be 12 nowadays. When I first got a video camera before I left for China in 1998, I was filming up everyone's nostril, I was so excited to document something. I recorded punk shows back when they seemed more fun somehow. I even went to my newfound, financially out of bounds favorite clothing store Anthropologie and filmed myself in the dressing room in dresses I would never have the occasion to wear or the funds to buy. This made me feel like I didn't need to own them, just document them. I've never particularly enjoyed getting dressed up, not since I was a reckless teen in the 80's. Then, I wore crazy costumes, some shredded beyond recognition, others sewn, pinned or laced into something like clothes. Thrift stores were raw and untapped as a resource. The makeup was generally spooky style. Black eyeliner looking like lower lashes clockwork orangey and lots of Siouxsie influenced blocks of eyeshadow in all colors. Into the late 80's and eventually I decided I wanted to hide instead. So I stopped wearing makeup for a couple of years and started dressing in monochromes. Before, black, white and gray were natural favorites, then it became forest or olive green. There was baby and navy blue for awhile and even brown which I had once loathed. I still have to resist the urges of black, white, gray, green, blue or brown. My clothes were whatever I could comfortably wear for a few days stretch, despite tatters. I studied in France and this lack of fashion did not go over at all well. I was treated like a wretch and waiters avoided me. I came back to graduate. Nirvana hit big and my friends living in Paris said the whole city was awash in little tattered long haired boys and girls. As anyone who had been punky before Nirvana knows, the times were very confusing. I was sure that no one would copy me if I dressed in plaid kilted school uniforms. That quickly became co-opted as did anything anyone in the scene did. We were forecasters and there were eyes everywhere. Now it is so prevelant in the advertising world, that punky people from that period are no longer surprised to hear Buzzcocks sell cars or see bands reunite without much foresight. I'm sure this topic has been exhausted extensively and at the risk of seeming nostalgic for the bygone days of punk rock purity (of which there probably never really were any) I'll stop waxing. Well, this brings me up to the present. Although I still cannot afford it, I have become a little bit of a clothes horse. I don't like making myself nor anyone else feel awkward so I rarely wear my fancy clothes out the door. Something about the lighting in the dressing rooms convinces me that I will someday find the reason to wear this garment. So like Tavi G dressed up with no particular place to go, I thought I'd take advantage of my bedrest by doing a little daily fashion blog until the prescription ends in 10 days. Then no more amoxicillin fashion days. Here's the dress Sam got me for Christmas and here I am on Christmas Eve in it and then dressed in what I actually wore out of the house.



For Christmas Eve dinner we went to the Mission Inn in Riverside with my mom and her man Richard.




It's lit with an obscene number of lights and has all the animatronic elves you could shake a candy cane at. There is absolutely no way to take an uncreepy picture of these things.





Here are some equally disturbing animatronic miners from Knott's Berry Farm earlier this month.